Founded in 1953, The Pride of Olentangy represents a time-honored tradition of pride, professionalism, pageantry, and excellence spanning the 64-year history of the Olentangy School District. Our basic goal is working together toward excellence in musicianship.
The Olentangy Marching Band of Pride has approximately one hundred and ten members in grades nine through twelve. The band members primarily live in Lewis Center and the high school is part of the Olentangy Local School District. Olentangy High School has an enrollment of 1974 students and 112 staff members. Our students perform in many community events, including football game half-time shows; parades, festivals, and field show competitions. Second semester finds them continuing in a concert band setting, along with several members joining the Indoor Drumline, Winter Guard, Pep Band, and Jazz Band programs.
The OHS Concert Band’s are the Heart of the Instrumental Music Program, featuring many public concerts, OMEA contests, festivals, and numerous other community performances. Music is selected according to the ability level of the students involved in each ensemble. We strive to give students a diverse selection of music to help increase not only their knowledge of music but also to foster their love of music.
The Band is supported by the Olentangy Music Booster Association; a group of parents who are focused on providing an outstanding musical experience for these students. The most important part of their role is to support their students’ performance; fund raising comes second! Parents are vital to a successful music program and this amazing parental group exemplifies the Braves spirit.
It now becomes the goal of all of us – staff, students, and parents to meet the simple but challenging task of continuing a quality of performance tradition that all of us can be proud of. We must all rise to that challenge, and, in the process, create memories that we can be proud to relate to in years to come.
The Olentangy High School Band of Pride has appeared at numerous State and Local Marching and Concert Band Events over the past twelve years, earning Excellent and Superior ratings and a reputation for excellence.
Both the Marching and Concert Bands have consistently been successful at OMEA Adjudicated Events, with a long record of Superior Ratings, and awards for Outstanding Music, Visual Effect, Percussion, and Color Guard.
Recent Awards include:
- Have qualified for the OMEA State Finals Marching Competition every year since 2006 and have received a “Superior” rating at State Finals since 2007
- Top 10 Finish at MSBA Championships and best overall percussion, Grand Champions at Westerville North and Best Overall Visual, Best Overall Music, Best Overall General Effect, Best Overall Percussion, and Best Overall Auxiliary
- 2016 Best Overall Percussion at the MSBA Championships
- The Olentangy Winter Guard has earned numerous awards including MEPA Medalists in 2014 and 2015 and MEPA State Champions in 2016.
- Performances at Walt Disney World of Orlando, Florida (2016) and The Nations Veterans Day Parade in New York City, New York (2005)
- Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble Members have earned both Superior and Excellent Ratings at OMEA Large Group Contest since 2006.
Individual band members have performed as members of OMEA All-State Band, Ohio State University Honors Band, Columbus Youth Symphony Orchestra, Columbus Symphony Cadet Orchestra, Capital University Youth Symphonic Band and Junior Winds, the Columbus Youth Jazz Ensembles, and various other honors ensembles throughout the state.
Band members have also performed across the country as members of DCI Drum Corps (including the 2015 World Champion Blue Devils), indoor color guard and percussion ensembles, college marching and concert bands, and as members of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade All-American Marching Band.
If you have questions regarding the band program, please feel free to email us.